Homemade squirrel food recipe is very economical. These recipes have proven to be great especially when you find it hard to get what to feed your squirrels. Have you been thinking of making beneficial squirrel food?, some of the recipes I listed below will be of great help to you.
1. Homemade Squirrel Food Cakes
These cakes are one of the best homemade squirrel food recommended by the National Wildlife Federation which concerns National Squirrel Appreciation Day. This body comes to the realization that almost all great squirrels enjoy eating these food cakes but sincerely they are also perfect for all bushy-tailed pets.
Homemade Squirrel Food Cakes
- 1/2 pound of suet
- 1 cup peanut butter (without salt)
- 3 cups birdseed (any that suits you)
- 1 cup oatmeal
- The seut should be allowed to melt in a pot placed on the gas until the seut turn mushy or to a liquid point. If there are so many lumps in the solution, kindly ignore it as it doesn't raise any form of alarm.
- Once the seut gets melted, it should be stirred in the peanut butter and oatmeal, this will be done until the peanut butter gets to a runny form. The pan should always be left with medium heat.
- The peanut butter should then be added very slowly till the mixture gets thick and kind of difficult to stir. The mixture should be kept over the heat till all of the birdseed is added. In case the birdseed gets cool, it will be very difficult to get the mixture out of the pan
- However immediately the birdseed gets added, the whole mixture gets spooned into the muffin tins.
- The mixture should be allowed to sit for up to 24 hours afterward.
- The muffins are now fit to be removed from the muffin tins using the knife available.
- All is set now, you can finally place the feed cakes in the squirrel feeders for the squirrels to relax to watch them kill for the feed.
In other to avoid the melting of the spoon while cooking, the wooden spoon should be used in place of a plastic spoon. Muffin tins and durable knives are also needed in the course of feed preparation.
Read :- What To Feed Squirrels
2. Squirrel Block Recipe
It is very obvious that rodents love eating blocks and the great part of it is that they contain a lot of nutrition needed for the squirrels. For a four weeks feed supply for a fully grown squirrel weighing one pound, here is a recipe that suits best.
Squirrel Block Recipe
- 1 package Henry’s Vita-Mins*
- 1/3 cup wheat flour (if you wish)
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 80 g Whey Protein Isolate the adult formula
- 130 grams finely ground nuts (almonds, pecans, peanuts any which you prefer)
- 1/2 cup of water (In case the mixture is dry, more if this formula should be added)
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (if you wish)
- 1 whole egg
- Heat the oven to about 205°F before anything.
- All the dry ingredients should be combined and added slowly into the wet ingredients with continuous stirring to help make sure that the dough sticks together very well.
- Then it should be placed on a greased surface lightly so as to make rolling in and out or flatten into squares easy.
- This mixture should be baked for up to one and a half hours and cut into 60 pieces when it is still warm though.
- The rodent block formed should be allowed to cool for up to 2 hours, after which it is placed in a zip lock bag so as to be able to store them easily either in the fridge or freezer. This should be done to keep the mixture from getting spoilt for a long time.
- After which microwave the mixture for about 5-10 seconds before you feed the squirrels because most squirrels do not consider eating them in a cold or frozen form convenient.
- This feed which is homemade can be used for regular squirrel feed or as a supplement in case their natural food source gets exhausted
Any of these ingredients can be found at local Walmart close to you or on Amazon. These best nuts are however recommended for squirrels.
3. Nutball Recipe For Squirrels
It can be a lot of fun and thrilling effect having to stare at these wonderful creatures eating at your backyard Especially in case you get to fill their feed containers with the feed they tend to love so much. It is a well-known fact that squirrels find so much love in nuts and consume them so much
Nutball Recipe For Squirrels
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (not adding salt is mostly preferred)
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (nuts they love most will be better)
- 1/3 cup plain oats (unsweetened)
- 2 tsp flour
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (half of the chopped nuts can serve as a substitute)
- 2 tablespoons water (for great and proper consistency, more can be added)
- The oven should be preheated to up to 180°F
- All the ingredients should be mixed up in a mixing bowl and get rolled into a dough that will be 1 inch sized.
- A foil should be placed conveniently in a baking pan and placed in the oven to cook for up to 3 hours.
- The concluded mixture should then be allowed to cool for 24 hours or more. After which the balls should be placed around or inside the squirrel feeders of even on the ground so as to make sure that the squirrels are attracted.
Must Read: 200 Cute Baby Squirrel Names
All the ingredients can be substituted easily, all that is needed is to make sure that the nutrition supplied must be the same as needed.
4. Squirrel Cookie Recipe
So well, it is a resounding truth that squirrels love eating nut butter a lot and they will also love this squirrel-sized peanut butter.
Squirrel Cookie Recipe
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter (without salt)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (it should be packed closely)
- 1 cup peanut butter (it can be crunchy or smooth, but should be without salt.)
- The oven should be preheated for about 375°F, and the 2 cookie sheets should be greased or lined with an aluminum foil.
- All the dry ingredients should be combined and mixed with the wet ingredients.The mixture should be mixed together until it is all mixed properly.
- You can shake the dough easily into maybe an inch ball and should be placed on the cookie sheet with a space of 2 inches apart.
- A sheet should be baked at a time for 10-12 minutes
- After which you can remove the cookie sheet and leave it to cool on the cooling rack.
- You can place the cookie to be around the squirrel feeder or any place around your yard that your squirrel love hanging out. Relax and watch them eat nuttily and grow well.
This is a very good and easy recipe to make a feed and it takes only about 10-12 minutes to get it prepared.
Even though the natural feed is very important, having a supplement is very essential. Knowing how to make this feed will allow you to save a lot of expenses. The above list will, however, help and guide you through recipes best for squirrel feed.
Frequently Asked Questions
What human food is good for squirrels?
I found several articles that suggest that squirrels enjoy eating fruits and vegetables, as well as nuts and seeds.
What is the squirrel’s favorite food?
The squirrel’s favorite food is acorns.
What can I feed a wild squirrel?
Wild squirrels enjoy a variety of foods, but some of their favorites include acorns, peanuts, and sunflower seeds.
What is the best thing to feed the squirrels?
If you want to feed your pet squirrels or the ones in your yard, the best foods to offer are nuts, seeds, fruits, and vegetables.
Is it okay for squirrels to eat bird seed?
Squirrels love birdseeds and it is very okay to feed it to them.
Can squirrels eat rice?
Yes, squirrels eat starchy foods and it include rice.
Can squirrels eat scrambled eggs?
Squirrels will eat it when offered but you should avoid feeding it to them as human food is not part of their diet.
Can squirrels eat oats?
Yes, you can feed oatmeal to your squirrels.
Do squirrels like peanut butter?
They love it when it is available, so you can feed it to them.
Jessica Watson is a PHD holder from the University of Washington. She studied behavior and interaction between squirrels and has presented her research in several wildlife conferences including TWS Annual Conference in Winnipeg.